Wednesday, March 3

She can do it all!

Todays feature is another gal that can do it all. From coming up with a cute doo dad signature to tiling a bathroom… let me shut up, and let her tell you in her own words!!!!


Rose Moot of DaRosa

I use a digital rose sign as my signature a lot of people wonder what it is, until I explain: --<-@. I signed myself with it to (tattoo). I can tile, lay a floor, demolish, grout, drywall, build custom shelving, put up crown mouldilng and baseboards! I have a weakness for mind challenging puzzles and creating a new piece of furniture out of old furniture. I also paint murals and furniture


(Here is our interesting peek into the questionnaire! (and yes, maybe again I am cheating by doing Q and A , but really after all this bumpkin has been through can you really blame me???)


1. Can you tell me your name and a little about yourself and your studio/creative space?
Rose Moot. I was given the nickname DaRosa when I was very active with mountain biking. I am originally Dutch but moved to Canada in October 2008. My Dutch name is Roos, but using Rose is easier here ;).

The reason for my move to Canada is LOVE. I met my boyfriend on a big broadcast Event in France, when I was still working in the satellite business. We started mailing, using skype and for our first date I flew to Toronto to spent the weekend. Travelling back and forth is expensive and we wanted to be close to each other. I took a two month leave from work to try if we could live together. And the day I had to fly back to Holland I found out I was pregnant! That made the ball rolling fast and within 3 months I quit my job, packed my belongings in a suitcase and a sea container to follow and crossed the ocean.

We bought an old house and are still renovating. My workspace for now is a big table in the living room, but there is a big basement and we are planning to make a creative space there.

2. If there’s one thing that defines you, what is it?
Positivity or Will power…can’t decide…
I never give up, will try before I say no. Positivity, I always see the good things. These two characteristics were really tested during the whole renovation. Trying to stay calm with a baby in your belly, no heating in December and a flood in the basement and the inches of dust in the house.

3. Do you have a family and if so what role does your family play in your art?
I have a boyfriend and a baby boy 10 months and my boyfriend has two kids 4 &6y from a previous marriage.

The kids play a big role. We often paint together and they get to decide what animals I have to paint. The baby’s room is filled with my Art and I am so amazed how he keeps staring at it. Visual stimulation really works!

The older kids always rate my work, on a scale of 1-10 they give me a million and 100. And the four year old wants to keep the blue gecko, because he really really loves it!

4. Where do you live and what is it like?
I live in Oakville, Canada. It is near Toronto and right now it is cold, especially for me! I love the area, but I do miss things from Holland: The beach, historical buildings and the direct way of communicating with each other. I also miss my friends and family. My brother and parents live in Belgium and we see each other every three months.

5. Where did you learn your medium?
Trial and error! I’m a very creative person with lots of ideas. About 7 years ago I started to paint. I got supplies and an easel for my birthday and went on from there. In Holland I mainly painted when children were born and sold via word of mouth advertising. I now started to throw myself actively in the market, because I love to paint, but also have to make a living and finish the basement ;).

6. What are your goals with your work?
Smiles! Especially from kids & baby’s. A good friend of mine told me that the only thing her little twin girls remembered from there old house, was the painting of the giraffes in their room. I hope I am also creating something that is timeless and hopefully children can pass it down to their children when the time comes. A good tip is to hang one of my paintings above the changing table to distract the little one from changing the diaper!

7. How did you come to selling online?

Bottom-line. I love painting, do not have a job here and can use the money. I never want a 9-5 job anymore. I’m done with traffic and want to do what I like.

8. Where all do you sell?

Etsy, mouth to mouth, ads and working on craft shows.

9. What is the best piece of advice you can give other artists?
Haha…always put old clothes on before you paint. Although I try not to make a mess…somehow paint finds it’s way to my clothes…

10. Why do you think that buying and selling handmade products benefits society?
For me the more personal approach and the great variety of products. People get to do what they love and find people who love their work. I like having special items instead of mainstream.

11. Your shop name and link?

DaRosa Children’s Art. http://www.etsy.com/shop/DaRosa


There are sooooooooo many cute pictures I could have added them all day. PLEASE go check out this adorable shop...I promise it will make ya smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment