Friday, March 12

Borne To Beauty

And another great artist, here on the Bumpkin Blog. I just love all the great talent I come across, and I love even more to bring it to you guys. If you know any artists you would like to see here –including yourself- please just pass the name along and I promise to check it out. Thanks so much.


So today I bring you…

Earthborne Art

1. Can you tell me your name and a little about yourself?

My Name is Dana Morton and my business is Earthborne Art. I specialize in a line of ceramics called, "My Grandma's Linens".

It all started when I needed favors for our wedding. I went through a box of old linens that my grandmothers had made, and created little dishes by taking impressions of them. They were a huge hit!

I now scour flea markets, yard sales etc., in search of old textiles. I like the idea of preserving them in clay while breathing new life into an old art form.

2. If there’s one thing that defines you, what is it?
There really isn’t one thing that defines myself. If there’s one thing that defines my ceramics it’s probably my love of texture and nature.

3. Do you have a family and if so what role does your family play in your art?
My husband, (Ford), and I have been married for 15 years now and he has helped me in every aspect of my business every step of the way. If it weren’t so heavy, I’m sure there was a time when he could have thrown my kiln over the fence. Hee! Hee! I still haven’t been able to get him to pick up a ball of clay and create something yet…. He does all of that boring excel, tax, business stuff that I hate doing and he loves it. So you could say, we’re a match made in heaven.

4. Where do you live and what is it like?
I live with my hubby and dear old dog in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, just east of a cute little town called Sonora. Located in the gold country of California, adjacent to Yosemite National Park.

I have a ceramic art studio in my back yard, kiln and all. I watch birds, squirrels, deer and other various wildlife stroll by while I'm working.

5. Where did you learn your medium?
I first discovered ceramics in high school. I credit that class with keeping me interested enough to graduate. I continued studying ceramics at Columbia College, and graduated with a degree in early childhood education with a major emphasis in ceramics.

6. What are your goals with your work?
I’m have been teaching ceramic workshops at local Charter Schools for several years now. I would like to expand my workshops to include art therapy for senior citizens in care homes.

7. How did you come to selling online?
I ran into someone at an art show that recommended Etsy. It’s my first adventure into cyberspace selling and I love it!

8. Where all do you sell?
My work is for sale locally at:
La Petite Maison, Main St. Jamestown CA.
Mountain Sage, Main St. Groveland CA.
I also sell at small local art shows, charity events and Farmers Markets.

9. What is the best piece of advice you can give other artists?

Do it because you love it and believe in yourself.




Please go to her website and look at more of her work. I was hard pressed to pick the photos to use. There wasn't anything in this store that was not an absolutely stunning piece of work...so PLEASE, take the time and visit Earthborne Art!

No comments:

Post a Comment