Tuesday, March 2

Time off

After a very long time off I am going to get back to featuring artists. I am still down on strength and weaning off pain meds. So I am going to be doing it “the lazy ways” for a bit. And hey…not like this brings in money like a “real" job..unless of course you all start buying some of my wonderful and stellar art (hint hint) Still going to bring you only te cream of the top, the best I can find. But I am going to do the interviews in the Q and A format. You will just have to bear with me or click the big ole X to the topo right of your screen. (ha ha-please don’t) I will get back to witty once I actually have some wits about me!


Today I give bring you the talents of Lucy. I just loved her work. It is primitive and fun and everything else I adore. I now you my readers will love her work as well. It is fresh and fun and you will be smiling all the while you read this great bio from an even greater gal!!!!


Lucy at The Farmers Attic

Pull up a chair and read all about her!!!

1. Can you tell me your name and a little about yourself and your studio/creative space?
My names is Lucy Galgano. I'm a Christian woman, wife, mother and grandmother. I love to quilt, sew, craft, cook, bake, and teach Ladies Bible Studies. My creative space is really my entire home from the kitchen, to the dining room table, to the living room sofa. It depends what I'm working on and the amount of space I need. My "studio" is forever in disarray. I tear it apart, put it back together again, wreck it, tear it apart, put it back together again...it's a vicious cycle :)

2. If there’s one thing that defines you, what is it?
Not sure how to answer this question.

3. Do you have a family and if so what role does your family play in your art?
I have been married for 30 years, have two grown daughters, a 4 year old granddaughter and an 8 month old grandson. My husband and children are supportive but yet don't play a significant part in my "art".

4. Where do you live and what is it like?
I live in Northeast Pennsylvania in a rural area. We've lived here for nearly 17 years and have seen lots of changes to the area. It was largely a dairy farming community but over the years there are very few dairy farms left. Very sad to watch the farming industry move out because of the amount of hard work and very little income.

5. Where did you learn your medium?
Oh my, I've been involved in handwork I think for my entire life. So much has been from observing other people and then trying it on my own. When I was a young girl, we visited family and an aunt was knitting. I would just stand there and watch her with needle and yarn creating her project. We had a 10 hour ride home and I asked her for some yarn. In the car on the way home, I taught myself how to knit with two rattail combs. My greatest inspiration came from a dear lady, who has since passed away. She would take care of me during the summer months when school was out and I watched her sew, garden, bake, cook and can. I wish that I would have known enough years ago to let her know what an inspiration she was to me.

6. What are your goals with your work?
My goals, hmmmmm, just continue to do what I love to do. Hopefully be able to inspire young people do carry on the art of sewing, quilting, etc.

7. How did you come to selling online?
It really was more out of curiosity to see if anyone actually thought my work was worth purchasing. I have been so encouraged by the dear people who have bought from me. They are now my inspiration.

8. Where all do you sell?
I have a webstore: http://www.farmersattic.com/, I also sell on Etsy: http://www.lucy43g.etsy.com/

9. What is the best piece of advice you can give other artists?
Just do what you love to do. Don't be afraid to try something new. Have fun doing it!!!

10. Why do you think that buying and selling handmade products benefits society?
We have become so accustomed to purchasing throw away items and fewer and fewer people have any hand skills. Buying and selling handmade products keeps people connected to each other. It is personal. When I shop at antique stores and see all the handmade items, I have an opportunity to consider the lives of the people that enjoyed such fine quality. It withstands time. These are skills that can be handed down from generation to generation.

Feel free to visit my blog: http://www.farmersattic.blogspot.com/
Talk to you soon.

Lucy

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the feature! It humbles me to think that there are people out there who are interested in anything that I do or say!!!

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great feature on Lucy! I admire her wonderful work as well.

    ~willa~

    ReplyDelete