Tuesday, March 23

Howdy Y'all

Being a country girl, of course I was attracted to the work of Peacock Garden. It reminds me of growing up- days spent playing in the barn, county fairs, helping dad with our cows, and other simple farm living. Her work transports me back to a simpler, easier time.

Please meet Cari Humphry, of Peacock Gardens.



1. Can you tell me your name and a little about yourself and your studio/creative space?

Cari Humphry, wife of Byron for 12 years. I have two kids, ages 5 and 1. On M,W,F I paint at home in a little nook in my bedroom during the kids rest time. On T,TH I paint, varnish & ship out from a studio space in my dad's accounting office. I paint almost everyday, even if I have to "steal" the time away from cooking or cleaning my house- :)

2. If there’s one thing that defines you, what is it? Right now I would say INSPIRED, but maybe it would be more accurate to say BUSY!

3. Do you have a family and if so what role does your family play in your art? My husband is a great resource for accuracy and information about the cars and the cows I paint. His family has always had cows in south Arkansas and I guess just by being male he has a fetish for all things on wheels.

4. Where do you live and what is it like? I live in Fayetteville, Arkansas in the northwest corner of the state. Wonderful city that is the home of the University of Arkansas.

5. Where did you learn your medium? I started painting with oils in college (as an accounting major) in an art elective class. A couple of years ago I began expirimenting with acrylic due to the "season" of my life (kids, etc.). I found not only were they easier to clean up & the drying time was a lot faster, they were also forced me to be looser and more intentional & bolder with my color.


6. What are your goals with your work? to have fun and get "looser" in my painting style.

7. How did you come to selling online? A friend told me about etsy & I thought it could be an outlet for some of my "collection" I was accumulating and a way to actually get paid for one of my favortie ways to spend my free time.

8. Where all do you sell? Etsy & peacockgarden.com & I have had some art cards at a local shop


9. What is the best piece of advice you can give other artists? I don't feel I should be giving out advice, but all I know that works for me is "paint everyday or as often as you can"

10. Why do you think that buying and selling handmade products benefits society? I think handmade products take us to a simpler time when people took pride in the works of their hands and there was a connection between the craftsman and the buyer. It actually supports and rewards the originator of the product and not all the middlemen.


11. Your shop name and link? http://www.peacockgarden.etsy.com/ - Cari Humphry

No comments:

Post a Comment